Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Knicks' Head Coach Resigns; Time to Be "Shepherded" to the Playoffs?

photo by the Associated Press
          It's been the catchphrase of many bloggers that Jeremy Lin, of the New York Knicks, is the "Tim Tebow" of the NBA, namely that he's a devout Christian and an underrated athlete that is playing an unexpected and surprisingly integral role in his team's success. Tebow's story and Lin's story (both still developing) really have nothing in common besides that sentence, and I wish more people would realize that before they pre-judge either.
          However, what's interesting is that the Knicks now have something in common with the recent Minnesota Vikings, since the head coach of the Knicks stepped down today. According to an anonymous source, their head coach no longer had the "respect of the team." The Minnesota Vikings (my football team, for those who don't know me or read my Twitter username), not even 18 months ago, fired their head coach Brad Childress mid-season, one of the reasons for which was his seeming aloofness, having little-to-no respect from the team.
          I feel I can speak for most Vikings fans when I say I was happy for that move. I, personally, am even happier with his replacement, Leslie Frazier. He came from Tony Dungy's coaching tree and believes in what could be called more of a "shepherding" form of leadership, which, I imagine, involves more relational connections, gracious accountability and holistic coaching, and without temper tantrums and embittering tirades. The team members spoke well of Frazier early on and gave him a Gatorade bath after their first regular season game under his coaching (a win against the Washington Redskins). And the Vikings owner isn't going to fire him, even after a 3-13 season.
          Before I really start babbling about the Vikings, I need to get to the point. The Knicks have more talent now than the Vikings did that year, and an opportunity, whether it's through the interim head coach, team captain or Jeremy Lin, to pursue this type of community-building and team-strengthening leadership to the glory of God. And who knows? I have high hopes for them. Maybe they will make it to the playoffs.
          But not past my Chicago Bulls . . .

No comments: