Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Country Minister and the City Minister?

          There's a small debate going on at ChristianityToday's blogs about calls to urban ministry. This is because the magazine has started an inspiring series on urban ministry, going from one American metropolis to another. It's gotten a bit interesting because it's spilled into the question of the better child-raising (or even family living) environment. Then it's gotten, maybe, a bit more heated as if one type of ministry or family life is inherently better or more valiant, etc.
          Of course, I don't want to join in the debate in the last sentence, but my random (and not thoroughly researched) thought is this: I think the cities of our country are more so a mission field in need than the suburbs.
          Judging from the debate, I don't think that some of the bloggers fully understand both the essence and intimidating challenges of ministry and biblical living in an urban setting. My wife and I have lived a few different places, ourselves, and I've been so intimidated by the chaotic, transient and sometimes explicitly decadent life in the city, an ever-flowing and uncontrolled fountain of new ideas and worldviews (at least some of them unbiblical) for just about anything, likely along with a higher crime/poverty rate and cost of living.
          But it's a mission field. And it's where a family and a church can thrive! The message of the Gospel and the lifestyle of biblical living are transcendent. I encourage anyone who feels so called to have courage. If God would ever call me there, I pray that I have the courage, because I know I would need it.
          One of the things I particularly appreciate about Tim Keller, a model for urban ministry, is his call to the city. When his church outgrew its capacity, they didn't opt to relocate far away from its Manhattan home to a suburban field large enough to support a new megachurch. Rather, his church appointed additional leadership and reproduced within New York City. Why? Because Tim Keller has a heart of biblical love for Manhattan.
          May we also develop hearts to love cities as well as suburbs and towns.    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a resident of Tim Keller's city... (smile) I can see his point and the point of other missional organizations beginning to focus on urban centers. Cities are culture-shapers more than rural or suburban locales are, and there is great potential for a "ripple effect" of evangelizing cities. We see Paul choosing influential cities to visit & preach at in the NT.

However, my reservations about this mentality about missions stem from a few observations, both from living in the city (and attending Keller's church) and from living overseas as an MK. I think that approaching missions with this mentality can push you towards a "numbers" game, which isn't necessarily bad (afterall, we want the biggest number of Christians possible!) but I think it runs a risk at prioritizing being 'strategic' evengelizers over simply being obedient. City living is rough, and its not for everyone. And I often walk out of Keller's services with an odd taste in my mouth and the sense that he's saying to me "If you are a true Christian and you don't feel called to live missionally in an urban center, you're selling out somehow". Shouldn't I live missionally wherever I am called? What if I am called to live in rural Wisconsin and to be a light to a small community there? The irony in his message, also, is that the underlying assumption is that people will leave the city and take the gospel with them when they leave, to wherever they are going. Why can't I be one of those?

I recently attended at Wheaton Alumni event on Wall Street and heard President Ryken talk about a recent chapel series at Wheaton's Missions In Focus Week. He shared about how the first chapel speaker, Luis Palau, is someone who had preached the gospel to (literally) millions of people. The next day they had a speaker named Natasha who felt called to share the gospel with ONE person. One single person. And make one disciple. And Dr Ryken's emphasis was that both callings are Holy, and both callings are good. Anything that tells us otherwise (to me) is adding additional 'requirements' to evangelism, and it rubs me a little wrong. Some are gifted speakers and will have amazing ministries (Keller, Billy Graham, Francis Chan, etc) in major cities, but its not for everyone, and almost certainly not for me.

So, long story short, I see where Keller and people who think like him are coming from. And I think they have a good point. But I also think it's worth remembering that God will use you wherever you are. Consider all the options and prayerfully consider what is right for you, what uses your gifts and abilities, and remember you are part of a global (and not all urban) church.

James said...

Thanks for the comment, Ashley! Yes, as I mentioned in the post, Christianity is transcendent. The need for Jesus is equal across the world, but (if I can speak strictly in numbers) I personally feel that the staffing of personnel who are continually bringing Jesus into the city is a bit low, especially if you think per capita.