Monday, January 19, 2015

The Faith of Selma's Lead Actor

Christianity Today had the recent opportunity to interview David Oyelowo, who plays Martin Luther King, Jr. in the film Selma, which has gotten rave reviews. I hope to see it soon.

On the 24th of July, 2007, God told me that I was going to play Dr. King in this film. The reason I know the date is that it was a real surprise to me. I'm not American, I'm from England, and I'd only just moved from America two months before reading the script. The idea that I would be the one to play Dr. King was, to be honest, a bit shocking to me.
But I do know God's voice. I became a born-again Christian at the age of 16, and my spirit didn't doubt it. My flesh was a little more skeptical. I auditioned for the role, and the director who was attached didn't feel I was right for the role, which kind of surprised me spiritually. But like I say, my soul was like, okay, I understand. I hadn't done many films, really.
HT: Christianity Today


No comments: