Thursday, August 8, 2013

"Worship Leaders, We Are Not Rock Stars"

I might be adding this my bookshelf soon. In the same vein as John Piper's "Brothers, We Are Not Professionals," Stephen Miller writes to worship leaders to be counter-cultural and combat the natural (and sometimes idolatrous) pedestal upon which they get placed in a church. This book (at least in part) confirms my hunch that worship leaders of the (near?) future will be demanded more pastoral (and less rock star) qualities. This way, we're drawing people into the church family through creativity and community rather than imitated pop fads. Here's a sample paragraph:

"With the amount of church plants budding across the globe, continual training as to why and how the church gathers to worship will be needed. The more theological our gatherings are, the more missional they will also become. When a pastor considers who will lead his congregation in song, Scripture reading, and prayer, it’s vital he choose someone who is qualified. Worship leaders should be as equipped to defend sound doctrine as well as they sing it." 

I would argue, though, that this book could/should be read by churchgoers and people that hire worship leaders. Upon graduating from seminary, my resume was passed over several times during the next year in favor of worship leaders who had experience I did not: in a touring band or a recording studio. And this is still a problem for those whom I help find paid positions in worship ministry. As a worship pastor, this is a sub-cultural change I welcome, but I don't think worship leaders alone can make it happen.

You can read the rest of the review here.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I completely agree with you. When I played on certain worship bands I would often be high fived before going on to play. While I understand their excitement it appealed to the flesh and made me feel like a "rock star". It becomes more of a show than actual worship.