Thursday, August 1, 2013

Millenials and the Church: Conversations Continue in Circles

Rachel Held Evans, a grassroots-style author and blogger, recently contributed to a piece on CNN about why Millenials (claiming to speak for them, just like Crumpton (apologies for a few words in the linked article), who, in my opinion, deserves more critical response than Evans) are leaving the Church. As always, there's a plethora of responses from pastors and other Christian bloggers from different parts of the theology-and-culture spectrum. Justin Taylor joins the party and keeps a partial link list here.

As a supposed Millenial myself, also a pastor, I still feel the whole conversation is going in circles. Evans, in part, seems to say to the Church, "Stop being so consumer-driven and give Millenials what we want." Respondents to such critique are being too vague and unhelpful in their advice: "Uncool is the new cool." Others are unwilling or unable to see the time-boundness of their church practice and communicate the transcendence of the Gospel and biblical living to the next generation, in this case, a seeming "self-entitled" generation. In my opinion, the actual ministries that are truly making a difference in the lives of many Millenials are rarely mentioned or promoted by any of the aforementioned, and they're sadly rare.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2nd Thessalonians 2:3, 1st Timothy 4:1, 2nd Timothy 3:1-9 speaks of a falling away and I think we are seeing this happen. Adults in general in America seem saturated and have no desire for God. Some of the reasons point to materialism, entertainment etc... When we would go out and share the Gospel we would get blank stares and no response. I see it as a fulfillment of those verses above. Changing evangelism like E-Free's Love Loud is always better than do the same things over and expecting different results.

Anonymous said...

Here's what I think right now... (Ask me again in 5 years and we'll see what's changed.) I think that we run into trouble when we, as the church, start "courting" specific demographics. It feels like an advertising-driven, consumer-based church model to me. I think lives are transformed when we instead seek the Living God, when we get humble before Him, and when we let go of our own agenda. I think I've spent most of my life asking God to bless my great vision. My vision. I think what I'm trying to learn now is to seek Him where He's already alive and moving and present... When my heart is transformed, then surrounding lives are touched. I think that's the start of dynamic discipleship. Does any of that make sense? I don't exactly know how to articulate the thing I'm thinking...

(This is Noel, by the way, but I've got all these script-blockers keeping me from identifying myself as such. Heehee.)