Thursday, August 15, 2013

Things I Learned From Not Seeing "The Book of Mormon"

Let me make something clear. I haven’t seen Stone/Parker’s “The Book of Mormon,” nor do I intend to. I’ve never enjoyed a full episode of their popular animated sitcom South Park. I know I stand out from at least some of my peers on this, but I’m just not into forms of raunchy profane humor (with a touch of gory slapstick on the side) that’s not printable in mainstream newspapers. It’s just not my thing. 

But I’ve been curious about the faith-culture ramifications and reception regarding “The Book of Mormon,” a multiple-Tony-awarded musical from the creators of South Park. I read the plot synopsis (don't plan on and wouldn’t recommend seeing the show) and have tried to follow its reception. I recently noticed the ads plastered all over Chicago’s buses, and as soon as they’re finished there, they’ll hit the road for the play’s second national tour.

The plot focuses on a couple of aspiring Mormon missionaries from Utah who, curiously, end up on a long-term mission to Uganda, where they deal with a host of physical threats and relational problems (including some issues of selfishness and immaturity between the two missionaries themselves).

The Church of Latter Day Saints has supposedly had “measured” response to this popular, well-reviewed and sacrilegious musical dramedy, named after their holy book. Even as someone who has extreme theological disagreements with Mormonism, I feel a bit sad at their mockery and caricaturization in this play. 

But the biggest takeaway from the plot synopsis for me is the (purposeful?) contrast with well-dressed, thin-tie, door-to-door Mormon evangelists (likely how Colorado-natives Stone/Parker and many of us prejudicially picture Mormons in our minds) and the impoverished residents of the pillaged and raped villages of Uganda. Stone and Parker put together a seemingly implausible and unexpected pairing of door-to-door U.S. missionaries (working mostly, if not only, for inward theological-doctrinal change) and real world problems.

But should such a pairing be so implausible and unexpected? I don’t think so. Churches are to be (and have been) engaging needs beyond the spiritual of local and global communities, expecting integrity in their leaders. 

Just a few things I learned from a play I didn’t (and won’t) see. And you shouldn’t either.                

No comments: