Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Abby's 4 Years Old! And What's in a Name?

          My oldest daughter is 4 years old today. It's hard to believe how intelligent and conversational she is, and how much she's growing. We drop her off at preschool and Awana regularly. She's doing more things and is getting taller and bigger. Interesting to think I've been a dad for 4 years.
          This year, I thought I'd tell a bit about why we named my children the way we did, as I did for my son 6 weeks ago. I'll put forth the same disclaimer. Yes, I am a bit meticulous when it comes to naming my children, and all my children's names are carefully based on deeply biblical names and concepts. This speaks more to the idea that I'm an obsessively creative person (read: eccentric theological nerd) when it comes to naming my children, rather than the impression that I am "holier-than-thou" to anyone who approaches naming their children differently.
          "Abigail" is Hebrew for "joy of the father." It's a name that my wife had long wanted for her daughter since junior high. I supported it because it's the name of King David's most noble wife (you can read about my fanhood of David here). The senior pastor at my church once preached on marriage using Abigail's story (1 Samuel 25). 
          David and his supporters were still on the run from a vengeful King Saul. Samuel, the prophet who anointed David as a child and invested in and encouraged him so much, had just died. Nabal, a foolish farmer, carelessly disrespected David and inadvertently picked a fight with his army. David was about to take out his pent-up impatience with Saul and grievous anger over Samuel's passing onto Nabal and his farm   in a violent way. Enters Nabal's then-wife Abigail. Without Nabal's knowledge, she approaches David's army while they're far off and marching to Nabal's farm. Abigail humbly offers the army food and supplies and pleads against any bloodshed, both to protect her foolish husband and David's integrity. David recognizes and praises her wisdom and godliness. She kept him in check. Later, Nabal dies (but not by David's hand), and David asks Abigail to marry him. It's my prayer and strive that my Abigail become a strong and wise support for the God's grace and truth . . . and that she'd stay away from the Nabals of this world.
          "Grace" is a beautiful term that should need no explanation to those familiar with the love and truth of Jesus Christ. I praise God for His grace as he doesn't give me what I truly deserve, and often gives me what I don't deserve, and I'm learning to be gracious like Him. I know this book has been around awhile, but Philip Yancey's book What's So Amazing About Grace? and its portrayal of the biblical and beautiful concept was still fresh on my mind when Abigail was born. God gives me grace. I give her grace. She gives me grace. Her middle name's a good reminder.
          Like I said last year: Abby, you are, stubbornly and willfully, our creative little drama-princess. I hope you never lose your imagination or your bleeding heart. I like it when you cuddle up to one of your parents or give your little sister a hug or some help. I like it when you sing and dance, or try different color dresses on your princess dolls. I like it when you take conversational initiative with guests and visiting family, sometimes even more hospitably than me. It’s my privilege to raise you, and you’ll never lose my love and support as a father.       
   

No comments: