Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Fun: Odd Toy Combinations

image from gettoys.com
          When my wife worked seasonally at Target, I tried to nudge her into creating a blog for "toy of the day." She's stocked some odd (and sometimes disturbing) products, such as Cuponk. Raise your kids on this toy, and they will be the best beer pong players at legal drinking age.
          In any case, I noticed a few odd combinations of toys I thought I'd let you know about.
          Lego Disney Princess. Lego, I think (as I collected them in the early 90's, mostly the astronautical sort), appealed a bit more toward the boys. And I wasn't surprised at all when they worked with Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc., even releasing video games (e.g. with Batman and Indiana Jones). Lego Rock Band was weird, but now it's brought in an alliance with the Disney Princess empire, along with all its controversy. Not sure how well it will sell. My daughters are novice Disney Princess fans, and I doubt they'd be interested. Building blocks and square-shaped figurines with peg-holes aren't the same as being able to dress and accessorize dolls that look just like the movie.
          Star Wars Transformers. Perhaps the Empire and the financially-strapped Rebel Alliance realized they could consolidate and simplify their army production by making their battle droids and combat vehicles into one unit (including making fleshly characters into cyborgs). Is this battle happening on earth or in a galaxy far, far away? Things must be changing.
          Maybe a big-screen movie is needed to help answer all these questions, and just when you thought both these franchises' movies were done.

          Any other odd toys or toy combinations you want to add?

1 comment:

wolfpackmommy said...

It never ceases to amaze me how Aidan creates strange things with his toys. I don't know if I should be concerned that the garbage truck always contains a decapitated duplo person, several farm animals and the garbage man himself. (The garbage man has never driven his own truck. Usually driving is left to the construction dude). Then there are the matchbox cars populating the little people zoo, the tower of blocks perched on Eli's toy ra.dio complete with a toy canoe on top. I would love to know what he's thinking.