Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday Fun: Crosstown Rivalry Humor

          I lived in the Chicago area for 20 years. Thus, I have deep respect for Cubs fans. Despite a World Series drought that outlasted the Curse of the Bambino, and still with no end to said drought in sight, the vast majority of the fans still support the team in all ways for which it could hope. And despite the increasing archaic aspects of Wrigley Field, the Cubs remain a profitable franchise. Like I said, I have deep respect for Cubs fans.
          But I'm so glad I'm not one of them.
          People like me who grow up on the west side or suburbs of Chicago, not being north (Cubs) or south (Sox) have a choice. I chose the White Sox when I was in grade school. The "Crosstown Rivalry" between these two teams is quite the cultural phenomenon.
          And somebody decided to make something very clever and entertaining out of it. New Era, a manufacturer of baseball caps, decided to produce some web sketches featuring to Chicago-based comedians to exchange honest trash-talk about the "Crosstown Rivalry."
          Below is the sketch where they talk about what a Cubs fan would give up to see them win a World Series. Enjoy! (Forewarning: Some of the humor in the series is PG-13 rated).



No comments: