Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Five Years Ago Today, pt. 1

At my wife's college graduation ceremony with friends, within
a month of our wedding ceremony. 
          On June 5, 2007, I slept on the couch in a quaint little 1br apartment in Wheeling, IL. I didn't sleep well, though. Unfortunately, I had had to work a full week of morning shifts (each starting at 4:30am) at the coffeeshop during finals week at grad school. But I had successfully moved out of my shared 2br apartment about 10-11 miles away, and had made the apartment nice and clean with, mostly, Ikea furniture.
          Because in less than two weeks, I wasn't going to be alone in this apartment. I would be sharing it with a Mrs.
          I was sleeping on the couch because I had taken the second copy of the registry's bedding straight from the package and onto the bed, so that we could come home from our honeymoon, cross the proverbial threshold, and sleep on "fresh" (still with folding creases) sheets.
          And maybe I didn't sleep well because, early the next morning, a friend was going to pick me up and drive me to O'Hare, so I could eventually find myself in north Delaware to get married.
          Five years ago today.

1 comment:

Short-haired Hippie said...

Happy Anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Gilliland. :-)