Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Random Thought: Christians are to Be Inspirationally Boring

          Occasionally, I wonder if I should apply for the weight-loss reality gameshow, The Biggest Loser. I could stand to lose a few pounds, and if I was willing to share my calorie-burning journey on national television, it might be a great opportunity to lose some weight and maybe make some money. 
          However, I somewhat doubt I’d get accepted, namely because I wouldn’t provide the drama they’re looking for. I’ve been through intense body composition programs before, so I know how to grit my teeth and get through tough workouts. If the show’s producers are hoping the boot-camp-style program will provoke and film an emotional breakdown or any emotional vulnerability from me to help garner ratings, they’ll be sorely disappointed. I’ll fail workouts, but I won’t cry.
          It seems that readers and viewers somewhat enjoy scandalous failure, drama and depravity. You don’t often see breaking headlines about how happy celebrity marriages are, or even highlighting even the littlest good news (especially in the tabloids). This is why and how mature Christians can be inspirationally boring.
          In a chaotic world of cynicism, drama and failure, Christians‘ lives should be exuding lives of righteousness, contentment, hope and joy. During difficult times, Christians show diligence, perseverance and selflessness rather than complaints and types of abandonment. Christians should be willing to take such Christ-like values of love and selflessness to the martyrdom of their reputation, if necessary (better that than a publicized scandalous fall from grace), being tried and tested and being known as the “real deal.”
          May we all continually strive to be boring together.        

No comments: