Friday, February 10, 2012

It Sometimes Helps to Give Our Daughter Her Veggies

          Age 3 can be very pivotal. At least it was for me. It was when I was 3 years old when I first asked my mother from the front yard, with a tone of intense curiosity, "Is God real? And He can see me right now?" My older daughter is 3 right now, so I'm little apprehensive as I prepare myself to answer the craziest (yet sometimes significant) questions and continue to mold myself as a parent, since her permanent memorability is developing. We pray with them, and prayerfully teach them, discipline them and inspire them.
          Still, I sometimes see a little hope. We watched VeggieTales: Rack, Shack & Benny recently (a children-friendly version of the persecution of the Biblical characters Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the 3rd chapter of Daniel). We came to the apex of the story (around 1:45 in this video), when the protagonists get dropped into the furnace and they're saved from the flames. As the fire went out and was replaced by the radiant white glow of God's glory, intimidating "Mr. Nezzer," my older daughter gasped, smiled and said, "God is saving them."
          So, in a world where people (rightfully) fear the growing media and other cultural trends having a negative impact on the youngest of children, some Truth is being learned by our older daughter.  
  

No comments: