Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Little Known and Underrated Resource for Worship Music

          When I was in intern at a jingle shop in Nashville, I attended a Reformed University Fellowship group (RUF for short) at a nearby Presbyterian church. It was led by the RUF leader of Nashville's Belmont University, Kevin Twit. He's a theologian and a Top 40 guitarist to boot, and he introduced me to Indelible Grace Music.
          Indelible Grace Music is a ministerial music movement that takes the text of classic hymns and adds a beautiful acoustic accompaniment (and often a new melody). It is very popular, for example, among Christian college students who yearn for the dense theological poetry of hymns with a more musically "organic" feel. Indelible Grace has released seven CD's (and they're on iTunes) and has free audio samples and sheet music on their website. Being based in Nashville, they've also featured some known names in Christian music (e.g. Jars of Clay's Dan Haseltine, Derek Webb).
          I've involved Indelible Grace's songs as offertories on occasion, and it's always been a worshipfully meditative time for many. More info can be found here.

          P.S. Kevin Twit also was the one who introduced me to Settlers of Catan . . .  

1 comment:

Short-haired Hippie said...

Sounds neat. I'm a hymn kind of guy. I'll have to check it out.