Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Commentary on "10,000 Reasons"

It's not often that there's an open commentary on a popular worship song. Matt Redman's "10,000 Reasons," which I first heard recommended from fellow worship leaders at a conference in Charlotte in 2011, has been making the rounds. 

"The first time I heard Matt Redman’s '10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)' on the radio, I knew I was listening to a song that would soon be sung in churches across the United States. The plaintive melody perfectly suits Redman’s paraphrase of Psalm 103, and the chorus was singing in my head the rest of the day.
"According to CCLI’s biannual list of 25 songs reported by churches across the country, '10,000 Reasons' is now the most-often sung contemporary worship song in America."

I wouldn't mind more a little more open commentary (esp. musical) on the composition of worship songs. What are your thoughts on this idea and/or Trevin Wax's aforementioned review?

No comments: