Monday, May 13, 2013

A Viking to be Proud of: Leslie Frazier

In case you didn't know, I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan who lives an hour away from Lambeau Field. As a pastor, it makes for fun conversation with the congregants at my church. At a recent elder meeting, one elder mentioned his plans for a family excursion to the Twin Cities. I, jokingly, recommended he visit the Mall of America and go to the Vikings Locker Room. He retorted, asking if I wanted a Greg Jennings jersey. Realizing he might be honestly offering me a souvenir, I asked him if there was anything in the store celebrating the Vikings new head coach (of three years), Leslie Frazier.

Maybe they should make more jersey equivalents for coaches. It's more than just the Viking fan base that's noticed Frazier's mature guidance of the franchise from its collapse in 2010 to its promising rebuilding. I may be a bit biased, since Frazier once coached at my alma mater (where I got my graduate degree), but he took a team from 3-13 to 10-6 (with a playoff berth) using good and mature leadership tactics, and had more connections and support from the team and the office. I hope he remains the Minnesota Vikings coach for years to come.  

No comments: