Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday Fun: Inappropriate Graduation Songs

Of course we've heard of inappropriate wedding songs. Just ask Tim Hawkins.


But it occurred to me last week, as I put together the service for my church's Graduation Sunday, that there might be some inappropriate graduation songs, too. I asked around some of my fellow worship leaders for some potential offertory ideas on Graduation Sunday. Other responses were more serious. Others were tongue-in-cheek. Others were more like advice of what not to play. Below is the list of responses for the latter two categories. For me, at least, it's difficult and/or comical to imagine these being played in and dedicated to the high school seniors in a modern Graduation Sunday church service.


  • "I Believe I Can Fly" -R. Kelly 
  • "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior" -hymn, Fanny Crosby 
  • "Rescue the Perishing" -hymn, Fanny Crosby
  • "Friends" -Michael W. Smith (Good song, but a few functional problems in the lyrics, and it's hard to break it from Smith's style).
Any songs you want to add to the list?

No comments: