Friday, October 12, 2012

What Does "Community Church" Mean to You?

          There are plenty of true stories of wisdom and/or hilarity to be told about naming a church. I've heard a few of them in person from friends who have started churches. But I was thinking this morning about a common term used in church names: community.
          It's fairly popular. Some of the biggest churches in the nation use it. It's mostly used by non-denominational churches, but some denominations have used it as well, leaving the name of their denomination itself as a subtitle.
          But what does it mean to you? No, I'm not looking to re-name my church or start a church plant. I really want you to consider that question. It's actually multiple-choice. I once trained under a church planter leader that challenged me with this question.
          Does the word "community" in a church title mean "there's community within"? That, if you join this church, you'll be part of an intimate and loving community, despite diversity, etc.? Or, does it mean "this is a church for the community"? As to say that this specific church was built for the specific purpose of serving and showing Truth, love and charity to this specific, God-loved regional "community," not just the people that regularly come into its doors?
          Sadly, I (and a lot of Christians and otherwise, I'm afraid) have thought only the former. Church unity and community is great, but let's not forget our biblical mission.

2 comments:

Josh Hanson said...

From my experience, "community" has implied neither, but rather only indicates that the church follows the church-as-entertainment model.

James said...

That's true, Josh! Also ironic that churches that self-dub community but seem to make more effort towards entertainment.