Monday, October 29, 2012

Nicolas Cage in a Reboot "Left Behind"?

Nicolas Cage in "Knowing," another film
involving world cataclysm
          It appears to be true. And just when I thought I had seen all possible and surprising ventures in the currently-explored concept of "Christian film." Let's admit it. It's already been an interesting year with Courageous, Blue Like Jazz, October Baby, Hellbound? and 2016: Obama's America, a diverse group of films in which (at least a portion of) the Christian community has presented itself in movie theaters. But a new Left Behind with Nicolas Cage? I didn't see this coming. At all.
          I don't know what's more surprising about this venture. That it involves an eschatological drama which, I think, has long lost its box office appeal (except for some seminary students) even without supernature or the Christian God in the script (e.g. The Day After Tomorrow, 2012), or that it involves Nicolas Cage, who's a bit of a different person altogether than Kirk Cameron. In addition, we're in a very politically-charged time when the relationship between faith and politics is very unstable. Not sure what could be accomplished by an intense cinematic reminder of potential chaos from above.
          It's a curious venture. I think it's got a few strikes against it, and few publications (Christian or otherwise) seem to be taking the concept seriously. But then again, I've been surprised before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd see it just because it's Nicolas Cage ... for all his faults I enjoy his acting :)