Monday, July 23, 2012

Processing the Theater Shooting

          My wife and a few people very close to me know that I'm a huge fan of the new Batman movie series. I watched Batman Begins 3-4 times in my home movie theater in Iowa in 2005, and bought the special DVD the day it was released (which was right after my birthday!). However, I encountered a month delay in seeing The Dark Knight due to overseas mission work, and no, I haven't yet seen The Dark Knight Rises. (Please don't tell me anything!).
          I was on vacation and thirty miles away from any movie theater on July 19-20. Still, with the little cell service we got, my wife heard and then informed me about the shooting at a theater's premiere of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, CO. Since then, the story has dominated the proverbial airwaves. From distant, small-town local news to Facebook, we're learning about the shooter's background and hearing testimonies from friends of friends of victims, and I don't think people will forget what the crime scene looks like for a while.
          I'll admit I've had some trouble wrapping my head around this tragedy, too. I've sometimes gone back to what I wrote more than a year ago. But I'm thankful that Collin Hansen puts some things in perspective.

          "Our ancestors lived in a scary world like this. At any moment they might succumb to a disease no one understood. Or become collateral damage in a war they didn't start. Or suffer starvation when the skies withheld their rain. The patriarchs of the Old Testament lived in such a world. So did the apostles of the New Testament. So did Jesus."

          You can read the rest here, appropriately titled, "The True Knight is Risen." I wish more people, Christians in particular, saw this link.

No comments: