Monday, July 30, 2012

A Viking to Be Proud Of: Jared Allen

Hannah Foslien/Getty Images
          A Packers fan colleague of mine told me about Jared Allen's faith before I read this article, but I wasn't actually surprised. I already knew that he was, in addition to leading the NFL in sacks, helping to lead the team and its fans in morale and community. Allen's "sack dance" doesn't show off his muscles or intimidating demeanor but rather gives a strong nod to his steer-wrestling background. In interviews, he's a humble and hopeless optimist for the team, and he was a rare and gracious defender of the work of soon-to-be-fired head coach Brad Childress when owner Zygi Wilf was taking a critical survey. He spends a lot of off-season time and money visiting deployed troops and veterans and charities. And Allen, with all the glory his on-the-field work affords him, certainly has a humble relationship with the camera best described as "Hi, Mom!"
          I recently found a great article on his faith here.
          So Godspeed to you, Jared Allen! I honestly hope that you, someday, find yourself in Canton with at least a single-season sack record and a Super Bowl ring. It's humble leaders like you, Leslie Frazier, and Adrian Peterson that make me proud to be a Vikings fan.

No comments: