Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Fun: The Vikings' Happy Future Home

artist's rendering of new Vikings stadium for 2016,
found on Minnesota Public Radio
          I've diverged from theology, worship and culture on this blog on occasion and written twice before about the Minnesota Vikings' stadium situation and the possibility of them moving to Los Angeles. I'm thrilled to continue this subject in a Friday Fun post, because the issue is over.
          That's right. The Vikings are staying in Minnesota, and my fanhood is no longer up for free agency.
          I still remember when I got to have the best experience any Midwesterner could have: I went to a Vikings playoff game in January of 2009. The cyborg Adrian Peterson scored two touchdowns, and the panoramic image of the purple and gold warriors on the field was better than any HD TV could do. But I noticed a pamphlet for Minnesota Momentum, warning that the lease on the Metrodome would be up in 2012. I did notice the inside of the Metrodome was particularly small and run-down, and here I was (with a lot of other Vikings fans) taking the bus to my cars parked at the Mall of America.
          During the 2009 and 2010 seasons, we were all distracted by glory and Favre drama to worry about the stadium situation. The issue came front and center in January 2011, and I thought I'd have to be patient and that it'd be settled by May of 2011. Then Minnesota's government shut down. Then opposition and complications arose within the government. A lot of highs and lows happened for the next year.
          "Honey, would you really want to raise our daughters as Bears fans?" my supportive wife asked. (Becoming Packers fans is a non-starter). "I don't think I really like Jay Cutler." I would have been happy to become a Bears fan, but my Vikings fanhood predates my Chicago roots.
          But yesterday, the government approved partial (minority) funding of a $975 million for a stadium on the site of the Metrodome with more parking. This stadium can (and will) also host a lot more than Vikings games (e.g. high school championships, Final Four, Super Bowls, etc.).  
          It's so wonderful that the Minnesota Vikings are better-equipped to be the most charitable and overall best NFL team around. So, to all Packer fans, Bear fans and Lion fans (even the bandwagon-ers), rest assured that the good ol' NFC North and its rivalries are here to stay.
          And, to those of you who are disappointed, what's also remaining intact is the Vikings' record of 18 NFC North division titles. Sorry. Well, not really.
          So yeah, I'm happy. This sports-related euphoria overshadows the Bulls' and Blackhawks' early exits from the this years' playoffs, the Sox's and Cubs' current inability to maintain a winning record, and the idea that the Hawkeyes might have missed the window to the Rose Bowl. Really, I'm good.      
    
  

1 comment:

David Heise said...

I'm glad for you, James. I really am. Whenever I catch the Vikings not playing the bears I always think on you fondly and cheer them on. I then tell anyone who will listen "my old roommate is an avid Vikings fan."