Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Christian America of the '50s

I found this article to be concise and helpful.

My newsfeed has two kinds of common historically inaccurate stories. Members of my own Faith often exaggerate the Christian nature of the American Founding and experience while secularists keep writing that America was never a Christian nation. Lately the secularists have taken to arguing that America became particularly “Christian” in a civil religion sense during the Cold War. American did indeed add “under God” to the pledge of Allegiance during that period and Dwight D. Eisenhower was given to clumsy religious statements in public.

In fact, I shall present evidence that the fifties saw common civil religious expressions (indeed mostly Christian ones). Of course, by this I mean the 1850s.

You can read the rest here.


No comments: