Monday, October 13, 2014

"Oceans" and Other Challenging Praise Lyrics

Hillsong United's "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)", even though it's more than two years old, is still popular to sing and to talk about. In my worship leader circles, the debate centered around how singable it was by a congregation, and then how to match its balance of ambience and energy. Recently, a Christian blogger, Annie Downs, pointed out something about the lyrics in an article that's been going around cyberspace, Stop Singing "Oceans".

Downs's problem isn't with the song itself, but with the hearts of the congregants who sing it. Do they really, honestly mean it when they sing through that challenging bridge? Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters, wherever You would call me. Take me deeper than my feet would ever wander, that my faith would be made stronger, in the presence of my Savior. That's giving God license to challenge and refine you, including by proverbial fire. So yeah, Downs has a good point.

But "Oceans" is far from alone in having strong, honest and worshipful lyrics that we may not think through singing (but we should). Here's a list of popular worship lyrics (both recent and from hymnody) that also may fall in this category.

"Lord, strip it all away, 'til only You remain" -Simplicity, Rend Collective

"Go, then, earthly fame and treasure! Come, disaster, scorn and pain!
In Thy service, pain is pleasure; with Thy favor, loss is gain." -Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken

"If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus 'tis now." -My Jesus I Love Thee

The Holy Scriptures have the good news of the Gospel, but they also convict us of our sin and challenge us with a call to God-directed sacrificial living. It's good that both hymns of old and modern praise songs are reflecting that balance.

Can you add any challenging praise lyrics to this list?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to respectfully disagree. The intent of worship within a congregation is not to cater to those who are true believers but is to allow opportunities for those who are believers to witness to those who are not. If someone sings those lyrics it's not our place to determine if they sing them with their heart or if they sing them because the rest of the congregation is also singing. As someone who recently went through a difficult situation those lyrics, in particular, got me through some tough times. I can only pray that when I sing those lyrics in a congregation people don't assume they mean nothing to me. I pray that as I sing those lyrics people (believers or not) see that as a way for me to lift my thanks to the LORD. Also it's the responsibility of the worship leader to engage the congregation. If that's not happening it's not necessarily a function of the song but could be the worship itself. Finally, its far more damaging to avoid lyrics based on what we think is reality. Let the song carry out it's intent, I'd like to think Hillsong United would agree.