Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Rich Mullins Movie

I wish I could have gotten to know the music and ministry of Rich Mullins on a deeper level. He died when I was in junior high. I bought his tribute album CD (I had saved up money from my job at the grocery store), and noticed that Michael W. Smith and dc Talk had done a few covers of his work. "Calling Out Your Name," "If I Stand," "My Deliverer," "Save Me," "I See You" and "Step By Step" became favorites that I still have mostly memorized.  

There's a biopic on Rich Mullins, that seems to tell his story in true ragamuffin style.

If you are looking for an idealized or sanitized portrait of Rich Mullins, don’t watch this movie. Here’s a chain-smoking man with salty language and a propensity toward alcohol abuse who sees himself and everyone else in desperate need of God’s mercy and grace. At the same time, here’s a man who gave away almost all of the money he earned, spent time ministering to the broken who lived on a Native American reservation, and pointed people away from himself and toward the church for spiritual nourishment.

There's more info here. HT: Trevin Wax 

No comments: