Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Good Theology of Video Games

          I might be best described as a uncommitted and old-fashioned video gamer. I was in grade school during the decline of cartridge systems and the rise of compact discs. But I never lost my love for the Nintendo characters and the side-scrolling adventure games and haven't found as much entertainment in the modern, graphic first-person shooters. Recently, I traded in my Wii system and all its games to buy my wife a food processor, and far and away the most frequent use of my XBox 360 is kids programming for my preschool daughters. Nowadays, I get to play video games about once a month. (Wouldn't trade this lifestyle for anything).
          Most everybody reading this has a story to share on video games. Like many other hobbies (sports, hunting, fishing, traveling, collecting), it can be a subculture. And I think it's a good thing that there are ministries and literature for the subculture. I was thrilled to learn about this book Of Games and God by Kevin Schut, as reviewed by Richard Clark, the managing editor of gamechurch.com.

          In fact, Schut provides with Of Games and God the only extensive and balanced consideration of the medium I’ve yet seen. Not only is the book broad and open-ended enough to remain relevant for years to come, but it is also informed and nuanced enough to be taken seriously by thoughtful fans and critics alike. Both sides will find plenty here to consider.

          You can read the rest here.

     

No comments: