Monday, September 10, 2012

If You Haven't Already, You Ought to Learn About Christian Rap/Hip-Hop

          And I'll be the first to admit that I haven't. Back when I was in high school and could hum a few bars of everything on the Billboard, there was a seeming battle between pop and rock, and rap/hip-hop didn't have the same following as either. I am arguably a product of the post-grunge/rapcore era. Then I went to college to major in classical music composition, pretty much taking a break from pop culture all the other genres of music. Among all the changes in the popular music industry and the culture of its patrons, it seems like "pop rock" is almost an alliance (while inferior) against the huge popularity of electronic/experimental pop and rap/hip-hop.
          So, yeah, I've never been much into rap/hip-hop. I don't dislike it, but it's never been in the "top songs" on my playlists.
          But you and I ought to check it out. Why? Because Christian rap/hip-hop is making some considerable milestones in Christian music history.
  • tobyMac's "Eye On It" is the third Christian album of all time to debut at no. 1 on the Billboard 200. The previous to do so was Leann Rimes "You Light Up My Life" in 1997. Before that it was Bob Carlisle's "Butterfly Kisses."
  • LeCrae's "Gravity" hit no. 1 on the iTunes charts.      
           It may not be functional for corporate worship, but it's making an impact. You can read more about it from a connoisseur thereof.           

No comments: