Monday, January 16, 2017

How Martin Luther King Jr. Overcame "Christian" White Supremacy


One of my earliest memories is of a substitute Sunday school teacher chastening me for putting a coin in my mouth. “That’s filthy,” she said. “Why, you don’t know if a colored man might have held that.” It might just be my imagination playing tricks on me, but it seems as though she immediately followed this up with, “All right children, let’s sing ‘Jesus Loves the Little Children, All the Children of the World.’”

This lady probably didn’t consciously think of herself as a white supremacist. She almost certainly didn’t think of herself as subversive of the gospel itself. She never thought about the hypocrisy of holding the two contradictory worldviews together in her mind. She probably didn’t see how her dehumanizing of African Americans was a twisted form of Darwinism rather than biblical Christianity.

You can read the rest.

No comments: