Monday, July 11, 2016

Saying "I Don't Know"

Racism.
Dead African-Americans.
Dead officers.
These are bad things.
The temptation is to use stronger words, but bad is perfect. The murders and centuries of slavery, Jim Crow, whitewashing, stereotyping, are a decent definition of bad. Thinking a problem is solved when the group impacted by the “problem” knows it continues is itself part of the problem. Everybody who is decent wishes racism was gone and it has not.
Unconscious, unintentional racism (“those people”) is wrong. Being “color blind” is wrong, when color still matters. We don’t live in Paradise and pretending we do is wrong.
So what should Americans do?
I don’t know.
If you do know, then tell the rest of us. I read left, right, and everything in between. I read Christians, atheists, and every religion I can find. I don’t know anyone that knows what to do and I must begin by saying: God help me, but I do not know. I hate dead policemen, racism, and dead African-Americans, but I don’t know what to do.
We need to stop repeating slogans or fitting this present problem into our predetermined paradigms. It is not helping or working.
You can read the rest.

No comments: