Wednesday, December 3, 2014

This Year's Christmas Musical Feast

My family and I have the blessing of being introduced to a variety of Christmas music this year. Some of it is new; some of it we just discovered. In the past, my Christmas music was mostly defined by a collection of a late 80's/early 90's CCM compilation that I snuck into my mom's shopping bag at my Christian grade school fair. That music was good, but I've really needed to expand my horizons. Thus, below are the albums we're pulling from for our Christmas playlist.

Campfire Christmas, Vol.1 - Rend Collective: Give this album a listen if you can. It's festive and happy, just like you would imagine a Celtic campfire gathering to be. And they have very cool lyrics to "Auld Lang Syne."

White Christmas - Seasonal Hits of the 1930's and 40's: Our church recently produced Taproot Theatre's "Christmas on the Air," which takes place in 1935. This album was the soundtrack.

The 8-bit Hymnal 2 (Christmas) - Tyler Larson: If you're like me and would really love to play grade-school adventure video games from the late 80's/early 90's while listening to Christmas carols, this is your album.  

Christmas Masterpieces and Familiar Carols - The Westminster Choir: I had to go back to my classical-loving side at some point. This album contains several carols performed excellently, as well as some classical seasonal classics, including from Handel. 

No comments: