Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Robin Williams and 3 Links on Depression

I was in 3rd grade when Disney's Aladdin hit the theaters. I still remember the outside of the strip-mall. I was amazed at Robin Williams's ability to do so many different voices, and, later in grade school quickly followed his talent on Mrs. Doubtfire and Aladdin and the King of Thieves. In junior high, we were asked to write a small biography in computer class, and I chose Robin Williams. I remember reading intensively, trying to get hints about how he learned how to do so many voices. In college and afterwards, I enjoyed seeing his acting and impression talent well-utilized on Good Will Hunting and Dead Poets Society.

But, also as I got older, I got to learn about and appreciate other talented actors and impressionists. And I was a bit saddened to see clips of Williams's raunchy humor and seeming uncontrollability in interviews, etc. (though the latter is sometimes a price of artistic genius). Thus, Robin Williams's artistic influence faded somewhat, but I'll always remember him as the genie who originally showed me the fun of "doing voices." (Voice impersonation has had a surprisingly moderate and positive input in my employment history, as a telemarketer, radio show host, coffeeshop expeditor, and now a drama producer in a church).

Two days ago, Robin Williams committed suicide. He was 63. While some are mourning and grieving, others are processing his death theologically and socio-politically. Like the school shooting of Newtown and the suicide of Pastor Rick Warren's son, this event tragically brings our attention to the broad and complex issue of mental health, and how we can better it for ourselves and others.

I may not agree with the following bloggers on all theological points, but I think there are some good takeaways here. (Warning: some PG-13 language present). Ann Lamott encourages those struggling to avoid the proverbial abyss to find community and help. Brandan Robertson tells Christians not to assume a prosperity gospel of health/satisfaction and to find God's presence in our fallen world. Kevin DeYoung notes that the most intelligent, gifted and capable Christian can suffer from depression and quotes experienced wisdom from Ashbel Green.    

No comments: