Thursday, September 5, 2013

Theology of Tebow and Tebow-mania

I've been writing about Tebow in the past, trying to interpret him as a Christian witness and a professional football player/leader, and I've also been trying to process and analyze his unique fan base. I've never seen wiser (and more convicting) words about Tebow and Tebow-mania than from pastor and NFL-fan Jared Wilson's recent post:

I think we need to make a clear distinction between the reputation of the gospel and our desire to see Christian “celebrities” succeed. When we don’t, we lose our sense of humor. And what makes a better witness for the gospel — being super-serious about a Christian role model or demonstrating that we can have a sense of humor about ourselves? I fear that the Tebow-mania is just another manifestation of the way evangelicals think cultural cache and celebrity influence is vital to the cause of Christ. When I read the Bible, I see the opposite, actually, how God uses the low, the weak, the despised, the cultural cast-offs to further his kingdom. I am not against Christians in the entertainment or athletic spotlights, of course, but I am against the idolization of these people, which I think much of our fandom becomes. To be clear: The cause of Christ is not dependent on Tim Tebow’s success in the NFL.

It’s becoming clear to most sober-minded folks that Tebow’s skill-set is not conducive to being a starting quarterback in the NFL. It says nothing about his character or faith to make this admission. He is, by all indications, a great guy with a great testimony and a great heart. This does not make him a great quarterback. And to be more direct, I have to wonder if anyone close to Tebow is enabled to speak truthfully to him about this matter. When he was cut from the Patriots roster last week, he characteristically went out with his head high and respect on display. On his Twitter, he thanked the Patriots organization for the opportunity, and then he tweeted a few Bible verses, and then he tweeted that his dream is still to be an NFL quarterback. Now, perhaps this dream is realistic. But most people, including people who want it to be realistic, are acknowledging it doesn’t seem realistic at all. He’s had ample opportunities. Here’s my thing: The NFL is full of starting players who played one position in college that is not their position today. This includes college starting quarterbacks who find their place in the NFL as safeties, running backs, tight ends, etc. I just have to ask: At what point is Tebow’s inflexibility about his dream actually a manifestation of pride? At what point does he need to say, “Well, I can’t be a quarterback, but I will play fullback”? I can’t say. Maybe you can’t say. But surely we are close to that day? I don’t know. I just hope he doesn’t ride his stubborn dream into athletic obscurity. He is, I think, talented enough to play in the NFL, but (probably) not as quarterback. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kurt Warner was another that at one moment was on top of the world and then the next no one wanted. He came back as many others have. I doubt this is the last for Tebow. It's always easy to criticize especially when things look bad. I think we will just have to wait and see, it maybe a year or two even before we really know.

James said...

The main difference with Kurt Warner is that had much better stats in the common type of offense as well as a Super Bowl ring before he entered a period of team-after-team rejection. He had much more proven himself as a quarterback in his first year than Tebow has thus far. Warner was always able to be a back-up QB, and he was able to shine in an opportunity, bringing the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl. The problem for Tebow is that he can't even make the roster as a back-up QB. Not sure why Denver released him, but the Jets always played Sanchez (who they're now benching for a rookie) over him, and the Patriots chose several other QB's instead of him, too.

I want Tebow to stay in the NFL, too, and not become, seemingly, the first Christian draft bust. And I think, in order to stay in the NFL, he needs to try another position. The Vikings former backup QB Joe Webb plays a similar offense to Tebow and he's now on the roster as a WR, and I think he'll do great.