Monday, January 7, 2013

Kaylee's 3 Years Old! and What's in a Name

          "It looks like you guys are having another girl," the ultrasound technician told us in Delaware, more than three years ago. Now she's an intelligent and feisty little girl who loves to sing. She's coming into her own, as her older sister goes off to Awana, preschool and a different Sunday school class.
          This year, I thought I'd tell a bit about why we named my children the way we did, as I did for my son 3 months ago and my daughter 2 months ago. I'll put forth the same disclaimer. Yes, I am a bit meticulous when it comes to naming my children, and all my children's names are carefully based on deeply biblical names and concepts. This speaks more to the idea that I'm an obsessively creative person (read: eccentric theological nerd) when it comes to naming my children, rather than the impression that I am "holier-than-thou" to anyone who approaches naming their children differently.
          The name "Kaylee" is actually a distant form of the name "Michael." (Michael to Michaela, to Mikayla, to Kayla, to Kaylee). Michael is an archangel who continually has prominent roles in God's work (including military work), but acknowledges God's sovereignty. The name translates from Hebrew: "Who is like God?"
          Kaylee was given the middle name Joy because of our energetic joviality with which we received her, and she's very much reciprocated that aura.
          Like I said last year: Kaylee, I love that you’re passionate and zealous (even though I need to redirect that every so often). I love your eagerness to learn and be yourself, and I hope you never lose your love for singing. I love your grace with your older sister. It’s my privilege to raise you, and you’ll never lose my love and support as a father.  

No comments: