Monday, December 10, 2012

Advent Candle Monologue #2: Marrah the Servant Girl


          For our Advent candle lightings this year, our church is having actors/actresses from our drama ministry are performing historic-fiction monologues of first-century individuals who are processing the words of Christ from a certain angle and then celebrating his birth. The one below is written by a creative and theological volunteer, Summar. Enjoy!

          Hello. My name is Marrah, I am… well, I was a slave in the household of Maccabees until a few weeks ago. I was sold as a slave because of the debts of my father. My life was difficult. My master was stern and cold, and my daily life often involved abuse and neglect.  I served as a house slave, often waiting on the guests of my master.  
          One man’s visits that I dreaded, was Benjamin.  He was hard and angry and very wealthy.  He never let anyone forget his superiority or abundant wealth. Whenever I served him and my master I always felt demeaned and scorned. One day, Jesus of Nazareth visited our town, and it was rumored that Benjamin had an encounter with this Jesus.  Rumors were spread that something miraculous had occurred. Months went by and we never heard or saw Benjamin.  Not that I was bothered by his absence, I rather enjoyed the reprieve from all the degrading remarks. 
          Not long ago word came that during the Passover that same Jesus had been crucified. Some of us were sad others confused, but all in all that news didn’t change our daily lives. We were all still slaves of a hard-nosed master with no hope of ever being free due to the magnitude of our debts. 
          Then the most amazing thing happened. Benjamin showed up at my master’s house. I noticed right away that he was different somehow. He did not speak to me as harshly or make derogatory comments to me. As I stood by serving my master and Benjamin, I heard Benjamin tell the story of Jesus and how he had died to become the savior of the world and how he had paid the debt of sin for anyone who would believe.  I saw Benjamin break down crying as he told my master of how sorry he was for the awful life he had lived and now how he felt that it was his duty to make things right by serving Jesus for the rest of his life, helping people the way Jesus had helped him. 
          Then he looked over at me and said to my master, “How much is her debt?” My master was shocked and asked why – Benjamin insisted that he tell him the amount.  My master told him, but said that it didn’t matter. Even if my debt was paid, he had no intention of giving up the labor he received from me. Benjamin then took out his wallet and gave my master the amount I owed and then told him that he would stay and work in my place.  Benjamin said that Jesus had taught that serving is better than being served. 
          Much to the astonishment of my master, Benjamin took my place and took the role of a servant in Maccabee’s house and allowed me to go free. Just as Benjamin gave up his superior place in society to take my place as a servant, Jesus left his place of superiority and came to serve many more, erasing indebtedness with his sacrificial death. Today I gladly serve the Lord Jesus Christ. What less could I do for all that he did for me?  
          I light this candle in honor of Him choosing to lay down his life as a ransom for me and all who believe in him.

No comments: